Donations, help pouring in for family affected by home explosion
FORT PIERRE, S.D. – The mother of two boys injured in a home explosion southeast of Fort Pierre earlier this week (May 24, 2023) says the boys are in stable condition at a burn center in St. Paul and are making positive progress.
On their CaringBridge page, Kelsey Hupp says doctors updated 3 year old Royce’s burns to being on 36% of his body, but are VERY optimistic that he could heal most of these on his own, without grafts. She says there may be one or two areas that require that, but it would be in a week. She says, “Not only does the kid wiggle all the time he continues to wiggle when he is sedated.”
Kelsey says 5 year old Myles’ burns are all superficial, at this point. She says he’s off of one of his sedation medications, can hear them talking and is responding to questions. She says doctors will slowly wean down his sedation and do some trial breathing off the ventilator.
The Wednesday blast killed Kelsey and Trevor Hupp’s infant daughter, Harper (6 months), and both of Trevor’s parents, Bill (66) and LaDonna (61).
A fund for the Hupp family has been set up at First Dakota National Bank. Donations can be made at any location.
There’s also a GoFundMe page set up for the family.
Authorities said earlier this week that the cause of the explosion is under investigation, but at this point foul play is not suspected.